By now, you're probably sick and tired of PSY's Gangnam Style video. But after watching this video become the first in history to hit 1 billion views in December 2012, it's hard not to take notice of the explosion of online video. While your Chamber probably won't aspire to go viral on this scale, online video can have a tremendous impact on new member sales, member retention, and member engagement in your Chamber.
- People who watch a video on a website are 2x more likely to take action than those who didn't.
- 56% of consumer web traffic is video.
- Emails containing relevant videos increase click-through rates by over 96%.
- Website visitors who view a video stay 2 minutes longer on average.
Here are 5 reasons your Chamber of Commerce should be creating online videos:
1. Do More With Less. According to Forrester Research, one minute of video is equivalent to 1.8 million words. It would take months (if not years) to generate that kind of written content. So although it's true that creating video will take Chamber time and resources, it's likely that your return on investment will outweigh written content.
2. Appeal. Most people don't want to read through a lot of information. Plus, video is more engaging and can tell a much better story. Written content about your Chamber and members is valuable, but video connects and resonates with people much more strongly. Videos with content, like testimonials, are much more powerful in a video versus written content. View our video above or click here to view our sample testimonial video from leading Chambers of Commerce.
3. Accessibility. SundaySky states that 50% of tablet users and 20% of smartphone users watch video content, making video even more accessible. With tablets and smartphones continuing to explode, it's sure to grow the number of videos viewed across the web too.
4. Easy and affordable to create. It's important that your videos look professional, but the days are gone where video has to be expensive to produce. Hire a local Chamber member videographer or even film your own. Resources like elance.com provide an abundance of qualified contractors to edit videos at an affordable rate.
5. Search engine optimization. Just like written content, search engines allow videos to be searched and ranked according to popularity and relevance. Video can be a great way to get your organization to appear in top searches.
Have you started using online video in your Chamber? We'd love to see what you've done! Post your video links below.